An ever-popular fall treat, this versatile dessert can be made in your kitchen or over a campfire. Pair it with Spiced Apple Cider or Pumpkin Fondue for extra seasonality.
2-3lbs of Granny Smith Apples
1 box of yellow cake mix
3 Eggs (for the cake mix)
½ cup of Vegetable Oil (for the cake mix)
2/3 cup water (for the cake mix)
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup flour
1/2 stick of unsalted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
*Please note: ingredients may vary depending on the cake mix you choose.
Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, liquid cream or custard, or yogurt.
1. If making in the oven, preheat to 350°F. If cooking over a campfire, prepare about 40-50 briquettes in your Takibi Fire and Grill. The charcoals should be white-hot by the time you’re ready to bake. Next, prepare your Dutch Oven. Generously coat the inside with butter or oil.
2. Then prepare the ingredients. If using fresh apples, it's best to peel them. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin then slice them into small slices. Put the apples in a large bowl and add the sliced apples, ¾ cup brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and flour. Stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the cake batter ingredients. Then, pour the apple filling into the Dutch oven. Add the topping.
4. If baking in an oven, insert uncovered and bake uncovered for 50-60 min, or until the top becomes golden brown. A fork or toothpick should come out clean when stuck into the middle of the topping.
5. If baking in the Takibi Fire and Grill, cover the Dutch Oven with a lid and top with 15 preheated briquettes. Place the remaining 30 briquettes on the Dutch oven lid. To ensure even cooking, rotate the Dutch Oven a half a turn after 10 minutes, leaving the briquettes on the top. Then bake for another 20 minutes before checking to see if the cobbler is done. Be careful not to drop ash into the oven when checking. The filling should be bubbling, and the top should be golden brown. Total bake time should be about 35-40 minutes, but it may take slightly longer depending on the temperature of the charcoals.
6. Allow the cobbler to cool for 30 minutes before serving.